Friday, December 10, 2010

something to ponder...

Earlier this week I had the honor of attending an event so special, so meaningful that I haven't stopped talking about it since.

Uh Oh...here goes talky talky...

Yep.  Here's a picture of my work table (aka the dining table) for those of you who don't like to read my ramblings...

I suggest stopping at the picture if you're not in the mood to read.



Anyways, I will only spend a moment giving you the back story and then to the point:

I was at the United Nations on Monday night for something called the International Quality of Life Awards.  I have had the honor and privilege of attending this event almost every year for the past eight years, and it truly is the highlight of my year.  It is a rare occasion that we--the citizens of this very big world--have an opportunity to celebrate and honor those who have somehow impacted the lives of others through their hard work and unique vision.  Can you imagine a better way to spend a Monday night?

What's even more impressive is that this event is hosted by the College of Human Sciences at Auburn University, the college from which I graduated.  The very women and men who taught my classes, advised me, organized my curriculum, and have supported me as a young professional, are the very men and women who founded this event in 1994.  This little event (it's not so little anymore) has grown and grown over the past decade and a half, now drawing a very impressive international crowd.  I am practically glowing as I  type this...

On top of having the yearly opportunity to reunite with the people who I truly believe gave me wings to fly in this big city, I always make the most amazing new friends.  I've met journalists, CEOs, governors, musicians, artists...really amazing and inspiring people.  This year one of my new friends said something that really stuck with me long after the awards were over:

He said to me, "If we don't support young talent we give up our right to complain about mediocrity..."

I have thought about this all week and I started wondering what would happen if we all paid life forward by supporting someone and encouraging that person to reach his or her goals?  What would happen if every time someone did something nice for us, we did something nice for someone else?  What if rivalry or jealousy did not exist and we only wanted to support and cultivate new talent?   Maybe that word "mediocrity" wouldn't exist...

You never know...

I just wanted to take this opportunity to extend a very big thank you to all of the people in my life who have encouraged me, cheered for me, educated me and raised me (Mom and Dad...you deserve the biggest thank you).  I only hope that I can pay forward all of the advice, love, and support I have been fortunate enough to receive in my lifetime.

Happy Friday

xo...
ki

No comments:

Post a Comment