Tuesday, December 14, 2010

wedding bells...

Ha ha ha...not me, sillies!

Back in the olden days at my old job, one of my most favorite parts of being a dress designer was the occasional opportunity to design custom pieces for friends and family of the company.  I made lots of bridesmaid dresses, a couple of wedding gowns, and I even made my little sister's debutante gown.
Designing something especially for someone is and will always be the best part of design for me...
Currently I have the honor of designing a very special friend's wedding gown.  The first thing I always do is make a few very simple, very plain thumbnail sketches that grasp the overall ideas of the bride.


(I used to fuss over making perfect sketches with watercolors, markers or colored pencils, but later I realized that in the beginning, the simpler the sketch, the better.  I'll make a pretty sketch after we pin down all of the details...)  
Ms. Bridey wants a little arm coverage and a simple bell shaped gown with a fluted sweep.  It will have lace appliqued onto silk tulle with a heavy satin underlay and lots of crinoline.
We are still deciding where the lace will go...


Bridey wants to use the lace from her mother's wedding gown, a very special touch.
Unfortunately, it has become discolored over time, so I will have to over-dye the lace a soft beige or ecru to achieve a more uniform color before starting...



After that, we will see what we have to work with...

But the biggest challenge: only three weeks until the wedding!

Time to get moving...

xo...
ki

No comments:

Post a Comment