Thursday, January 6, 2011

my name is ki and I'm a shopaholic...

So I've never really been a New Year's resolution kind of girl...I forget them in a week, or, most commonly, I figure out a way around them so that I'm technically not breaking any rules...
I think part of the problem is that it's really hard to keep at something for a whole year...I have the attention span of a gnat, so 365 days is a long time to stay focused.  What am I saying? A month is long time to stay focused...

Anywho, with that in mind, I decided this year I would try out a year's worth of monthly mini resolutions.  It's an opportunity to try out new things, get better at other things, maybe finally get rid of some bad habits, and hopefully learn a few things along the way...

I had already decided that one of my resolutions would be a personal spending freeze, but I hadn't picked a month yet.  The thought of missing sample sale season was a depressing prospect as it is the only thing that gets me through the winter months.  (As in, "It might be 0 degrees outside, but I just got a new Tory Burch tote and it was a steal!")  Sad but true...
Anyways, I was reading my $6 magazine (bought on Dec. 31st, btw) and what did my horoscope say?



I took it as a sign.  Starting January 1st, I halted all fruitless spending for the month, and to prevent my crafty little self from finding a loophole, I am writing down a few guidelines.

Fruitless spending will be defined as any purchase that is unnecessary.  In other words:

  • No clothes, shoes, accessories, etc--no matter how low the price.  
  • No cosmetics, nail polish, even drug store stuff...  
  • No blow-outs, mani-pedis, facials, massages (I'm crying on the inside right now)
  • No Starbucks, coffee shops, candy, junk food from the deli downstairs
  • No eating out
  • No magazines, books, art supplies, fabric, sewing supplies or beading materials that aren't directly linked to a work project
  • No iPad apps that aren't free...sigh


Wow...that's a lot.  Already regretting this...

Is there anything left to purchase?

  • Food...as in groceries.  Not I'm bored and need a snack food, but actual food that is specifically for a meal or nourishment.
  • Items that are specifically for wellness, hygiene or medical emergencies...
  • Birthday gifts and wedding gifts will be the only shopping allowed


All other purchases will have to wait until February first!

Sigh...

So far, it hasn't been so bad.  It was hard on the way back to New York because I normally buy a lot of candy and magazines to entertain myself in the airport.  I finally conned D into buying some candy, and it must have been karmic punishment because the candy was old and gross.  Gag...
On Tuesday, I was in the Garment District for a lot longer than I planned, so I finally had to stop and buy a little something for lunch in between meetings.  I don't think that counts as fruitless spending, though...it was definitely for nourishment.  Next time I will remember to bring a little something for the road...

In order to keep track of myself, I'll check in once a week with a little report.  Feel free to laugh at me.  I'm sure I'd be laughing at the chick who decided to do this to herself if it wasn't me...

Wish me luck!

xo...
ki

2 comments:

  1. Oh my word. You have got to be one of the bravest people in the world! I can't even imagine what it would be like to not buy anything for a month. It would be interesting to see how much you save.

    I may have to try it in February.

    ReplyDelete
  2. brave or stupid??? it's definitely a fine line! I have already saved a bundle on little things that I would have never considered...it's pretty amazing!
    but it is really really hard. last weekend i must have checked the calendar ten times to see how much longer I had to go!

    ReplyDelete