Friday, July 23, 2010

Family ties...


I'm feeling a tad nostalgic today because I am leaving in a little bit for Alabama to visit my grandparents, Nanny and Big Dad. They are two of the most important people in my life. They have supported, loved and nurtured me in ways I can't even begin to describe. They have always put family first, have tried their hardest to raise smart, responsible and honest children and grandchildren. (And let me tell you: that is no small feat...we're kind of a dense bunch. ha!)

In our family everyone has a nickname. Big Dad is the master nicknamer and he determines everyone's name. I don't think I've ever been called by my real name...well, except for when I was in trouble (However, at Nanny and Big Dad's, you could burn the house down and not get into trouble, so that really doesn't apply here). Shortly after you're born Big determines your new name. We don't know where they come from...is there a system? (doubtful) does he consult others? (definitely not) Is it just random? (for sure) But for some reason, nobody objects and we all wear our names proudly...well, proudly might be stretching it.

Nan and Big have seven grandchildren living in five states, and we all have a name. (Actually, our moms and Nanny have nicknames too, but I'm not going to push it. I know what my limits are!) We span a 24 year age difference. Adam, a.k.a. Rice and my partner in crime through the ages, is the oldest of the group and the only grandchild that lives near Nan and Big. (It's a blessing to have him there as they get older). Ally, a.k.a. Rosie or Rose B, is the youngest and is down in South GA revving up for first grade (Reluctantly. School's really not her idea of a good time).

We are so spread out these days, that it is nearly impossible to find a picture of the whole crew. I found one from seven years ago. I wouldn't say that it highlights our best features, but it's definitely not the worst one. (The really bad ones look like they have been digitally altered. Woof.) Please don't kill me guys...


From left to right: Onion, Muffin, Abbs, Rice, Rudi (short for Rutabaga), 5 month old Rose B and Tootse on the end.



Nan and Big with Tootse (and a strange haircut)
And on an ending note...I just wanted to give a quick shout out to Onion, my younger sister, who is having Nan and Big's first great-grandchild! We are all very excited to meet her little boy who is due in November. I look at the picture of us below and I can't believe that we're all grown up and a new generation is about to begin. I'm just so excited to be an aunt! (favorite aunt, actually!)

tootse and onion circa '84


Congratulations, baby sister! I wonder what his nickname will be. So many things to look forward to...
xo...

ki


2 comments:

  1. I saw one of your dress in Allure magazine. Lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much!...it's from the old days :)

    ReplyDelete