Thursday, July 22, 2010

Let me introduce myself...

Born in Alabama and raised in Georgia, I really couldn't be more Southern. But after over 7 years in NYC, I couldn't be more of a New Yorker. I moved to New York in January 2003 for a job in the Fashion industry for what I thought would be two years...three years max. I really couldn't imagine living in such a dirty and seemingly uncivilized place (seriously, why won't men open the door for you here?) for longer than I really needed to.
Six months later I had been bitten by the bug. There I was, in an all black faux-designer ensemble from H&M, arguing with a cab driver, a Venti non-fat latte (extra hot) in my freshly manicured hand (sugar daddy, by essie, of course). It seemed I had found my home without even realizing it.
It took a long time to figure things out. A really long time. There were a lot of ups and downs, and in the beginning, mostly downs, but as my mom has always said, "what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger." Ha! You have no idea...
I currently live in downtown New York with my long time boyfriend, 'D' (or donut as my littlest sister has nicknamed him). He, too, is a southern child in the city. We love to travel, eat, read, eat, eat, and hang out with our very eclectic group of friends.
We moved in together last fall after I left my "dream job" at a pretty major fashion label. I was at the top of my game and, suddenly, totally and completely without any warning, BURNT OUT. I left to take some time and find myself. I had become so disillusioned by my professional life, that my personal life--and not to mention, my health--was hanging by a thread. I did something so not like me and let go. It took almost an entire year and most of my savings to get back on solid footing, but I'm back and seeing clearly again. Well, except for after the occasional glass of wine...Ha! Kidding...totally kidding! (you will soon learn that I am a total dork and never pass an opportunity to be one.)
Now it's time to get busy! My goal now is to take everything I have learned and keep learning. Pay it forward. Help people in any way possible. Be a good friend and family member. Share. And put good things out there! Maybe my own clothing line...who knows? Here's to the next year and writing it all down.
xo...
Ki

No comments:

Post a Comment