Monday, July 26, 2010

Nan's fridge

It's Monday. I'm in Alabama, feelin' mellow (and hot) and I'm still in a nostalgic way...
Walking around Nanny and Big Dad's house is like going back in time. Every room, wall and corner of this home sparks a memory and I'm taken back to hazy Alabama summers, Christmas nights full of anticipation, and Sunday night dinners with the whole family.
I've been walking around looking at the walls and shelves lined with awkward high school photos, old snapshots in tarnishing frames and wedding pictures, and I can't help but feel as if I'm still a little girl running in the sprinklers and catching fire flies. New York's tall buildings, crowded sidewalks, and general craziness couldn't be further, and for the moment it's a relief to be away.
My favorite spot in the house is Nanny's refrigerator door (pictured). Crammed with photos, both old and new, it is the epitome of what I find around every corner at Nan and Big's--reminders of who I am and where I came from.
Some people move to New York and want to escape their past but to me, it's what makes me, well, me! A goofy, fun loving small-town-turned-city girl is always with me, no matter where I go or what I do, and for that, I thank my Nanny and Big Dad!
xo...
Ki

No comments:

Post a Comment