Monday, August 2, 2010

What a difference a year makes...

So this past weekend was my one year anniversary sans full time job.
At first I got a little blue thinking about the fact that a whole year has flown by. Last year I remember thinking that by now, I would be in the middle of something big. Really big like...I don't know...just big! It seemed so easy.
Now, however, I know it's not so easy. Doing your own thing--whatever that might be--and being your own boss is hard work. Much harder than going to work for someone else everyday...there are are always too many distractions and hurdles and never enough time and money, and when you make a mistake...it's your time and money.
Last year in the Dominican Republic I made an artist friend named Santiago and he said to me, "Kiley be prepared for working alone. There is no one to distract you from your thoughts and your feelings. Sometimes it is harder to wake up and face all of these things than to just go to work."
He was right...I have spent a lot of time alone, but now I know that it was necessary. This past year of rest, fun, anxiety, tears, laughter and countless new experiences has inspired me to create my best work and only my best work. I was so disillusioned by the time I left, I wasn't making anything that I could really stand behind, and I needed to go.
I know I did the right thing but it's hard some days to let the universe take control, and be at peace with it all.
So I got out my pictures from the past year and started remembering the journey. It's been a good one and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It has gotten me back to myself and ready to grow.
Now that I'm feeling happy again, I thought it would be fun to share some of my favorite moments from the past year...


It's hard to remember what I was so sad about...
Thanks to my friends and family for sticking by me during my slightly-flakier-than-normal phase! Lots of good things to come!

xo...
Ki

No comments:

Post a Comment