Wednesday, October 20, 2010

a little morning art class...

I love Matisse.  He has always been a personal favorite...mostly because of his paintings but I do like his paper cuts (a fancy way to describe his special collaging technique) and drawings too.
I find his work to be so inspiring. 

I learned earlier this week that Le Bateau, below, was hung upside down at the Museum of Modern Art for 46 days in 1961...

Le Bateau by Henri Matisse
paper cut and gouache




People seemed to be enjoying the tiny 5.4" x 4.1" paper cut  all the same until someone recognized the mistake and it was rehung right side up.

I guess even art experts have a little trouble deciphering the top from the bottom sometimes...

Learn more about Matisse and the collection at the MoMA.org...

xo...
ki

No comments:

Post a Comment