Sunday, October 3, 2010

so good to be a southern child in the city...

Some days, like today, it is just so easy to love living here...

I have been working like a maniac this weekend.  Literally, a maniac.  As in crazy eyes, strange hair, a cackling, hysterical laugh, etc etc...

Friday morning I was met with a brilliant opportunity, and I am determined to make it happen....

By Wednesday.  As in a few days from now.

My hair starts falling out every time I think about how much I have to do...

But I figure, if Scarlet can make a dress out of curtains, I can be ready by Wednesday...
(Details for said opportunity coming later when I can talk about it without excessive hair loss...)

I have been holed up in our apartment for 48 hours straight just "a-beadin'".  Work work work...every available space is covered in beads and tools and partially completed jewelry. (poor D can't even walk in his own living room)

This morning there was room for only two things on our kitchen counter:

number one:


number two:


(and not nearly enough of the latter...)

To say the very least, it was time to go outside...

A very good thing that my new friend 'C', (a fellow southern child) and I had planned to meet at Spring Street Natural for brunch and girl talk today.  Very new to the city, 'C' has the makings of a lifer--she already exhibits the confidence and sophistication of a life long city girl--and I am just thrilled to have a new friend downtown with me.   We had great food and conversation...it was the ideal distraction from my working weekend.

--------------------------------------------------------

This morning I was so excited to be going outside that I left extra early (so sad, isn't it?)  So early, in fact, that I had time to take a seat on a park bench and enjoy the view from Lafayette St.

I snapped a pic from my perch in Petrosino Square... 


I sat by myself, enjoying the weather and the sights around me...the colors seemed electric today.  (Or maybe my eyes were super sensitive from lack of contact with a natural light source since Friday morning...but it was beautiful nonetheless.)

I made friends with the older French gentlemen sitting next to me.  They liked my outfit...they even thought I was French (a major complement from Parisians.  They are not so free with their complements...especially with Americans.)

I was grinning from ear to ear (A Parisian?  Who...Me?).  My time on the park bench was turning into a funny little New York moment...
I got so lost in my little moment, that I was almost late to brunch.  Good thing it was just across the street.  

Days like today...brunch with new friends, brief encounters with interesting strangers, electric blue skies...remind me why I am so happy to live here.
Work is tough, the weather can take its toll, but it only takes one day to make it all right again.  I love the details of this city...they have kept me here for 8 years. 

It is raining again as I type this, and it will probably rain all week for the second week in a row.  I will probably complain all week about the weather (as usual), but I know that as soon as the rain clears--maybe even before--there is another funny little New York moment waiting for me around the corner...

With New York, there is always something to look forward to...

xo...
ki


No comments:

Post a Comment