Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Hello from Georgia!
Yep.  That's right...I was on yet another plane (at 7:00 am) today.  No worries, though...I am glad to be here, 97 degrees, humidity and all.
Anywho, I am a little wiped out from all of the travel but wanted to share my beea-u-teee-ful baubles we bought on one of our visits to the market in Marrakech.  

Lapis Lazuli, Jade, Amber, Coral, Tourmaline, Turquoise, Moonstone, Onyx, Enamel, just to name a few...
We bought these from one of the most famous bead stores in Marrakech.  This tiny, closet-sized store is crowded on every surface with ceramic bowls filled with stones, glass beads and hand made metal pieces.  I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the perfect assortment to bring back and then even more time arguing over the price.
We learned that you are supposed to subtract about 70% off of their opening bid and then negotiate from there...it usually ends up at 50% of the original offer.  I found it very stressful!  I'm way too polite to be a good haggler...all of those Southern etiquette classes from childhood (what's left after nearly 8 years in NYC, anyway) got in the way, I guess...good Southern girls don't talk about money!
It was worth the fuss (and frustration), though, because the beads are so vibrant and special.  I can't wait to get to work...after a nap, that is.  Really big nap...big yawn.

xo...
Ki

No comments:

Post a Comment