Monday, November 29, 2010

gifts and wishes: tea time...

This is a great DIY gift idea from Real Simple.  Instructions are listed below...


sugar bowl candles


What You Need

  • 2 flea-market sugar bowls
  • 1 1-pound bag of soy wax
  • microwave-safe container with pouring spout
  • dye
  • candle-fragrance oil
  • scissors
  • wicking
  • wick tabs
  • wood skewers or chopsticks

What to Do

  1. Follow the instructions on the soy-wax package for heating the wax and adding dye and fragrance.
  2. Cut the wicking so that it’s about three inches taller than the bowl.
  3. Thread the wicking through a wick tab and knot it at one end. Slide the wick tab down to the knot. Dip the wick tab into the melted wax to coat, then press down firmly in the center of the bowl to make it adhere.
  4. Tie the loose end of the wicking to a skewer (so that it won’t get caught in the wax), then rest the skewer across the lip of the bowl. Repeat the wick-tab process for the second bowl.
  5. Slowly pour the wax into the bowls and allow it to harden.
  6. Cut the wicks right below the skewers; they should stick up about a quarter inch from the wax.


so cute...
I want to try this out so badly but I'm still in a little trouble from my last DIY experiment...  
Maybe I can try it out when I go back to Georgia.  For some reason I make far less of a mess at my mom's house than I do here in the City.  
Well...I think I do anyway. (she might have a different opinion...)


xo...
ki

No comments:

Post a Comment